Retired police officer stabbed to death in Heswall home was ‘true gentleman’ of genuine kindness

A retired police officer who was stabbed to death at his home in Heswall has been described as ‘a true gentleman’ of genuine kindness by his family.

Andrew McDiarmid, 64, was discovered at a property on Oldfield Way at around 20.45 on Monday night after Merseyside police officers responded to a call.

Sign up to our LiverpoolWorld Today newsletter

The former detective inspector had suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Andy McDiarmid. Photo: Family handout

A 21 year-old man arrested at the location on suspicion or murder has been detained under the Mental Health Act and taken to hospital for assessment.

A 54-year-old woman has been released on bail as enquiries continue.

An investigation remains ongoing after extensive CCTV, house-to-house and forensic enquiries were carried out at Oldfield Way.

A general view of Oldfield Way, Heswall, Wirral.

Tribute to a ‘genuine and sincere’ man

The family of Mr McDiarmid said: “Andy was a true gentleman. He was always willing to help anyone in need.

“If you have happened to cross Andy in your life, then this loss will be a tragic blow. A loss felt by family, friends, and countless others.

“Andy enjoyed walking, cooking, a sketchy bit of DIY, and most of all pleasing others. His love and kindness was genuine and sincere.

“Andy had a herculean work ethic. He was motivated and devoted to a task. He served in the Merseyside Police for over 30 years. He truly loved his job and all those he worked with.

“This loss will leave a void in many people’s lives. Fill it with love and happiness. It is what he would have wanted.”

Thirty years in the force

Mr McDiarmid was a former Merseyside Police officer who retired as a detective inspector in intelligence in 2008 after 30 years’ service.

A post mortem has been carried out and the cause of death has been confirmed as stab wounds.

Chief Constable Serena Kennedy said: “Andy joined Merseyside Police in 1978 and spent 30 years with the service, working at Wavertree police station and in CID in Tuebrook, Huyton and Wirral.

“Our thoughts and condolences are with Andy’s family at this tragic time.”