The January transfer window is past the halfway stage.
And with Everton languishing joint bottom of the Premier League table, it will be pivotal they get things right to avoid relegation.
Just two weeks remaining of the window, time is ticking for Toffees manager Frank Lampard and director of football Kevin Thelwell.
Here’s the current state of play at Goodison Park.
In terms of incomings, things have been dormant so far. Not one new signing has been made.
Of course, attacking reinforcements are Everton's priority. The Toffees have scored more than one goal in just two Premier League games this season and bagged only 15 times in total - the joint-second worst record in the division.
"We have to do better," Lampard said after the 2-1 loss to Southampton on Saturday.
"We talked about it a lot in terms of what an attacking threat, a clinical threat does to games. To not score enough goals is hard because you can have good periods in the games but if you're not scoring it keeps other teams in the game. It's been a problem for us this, without a doubt."
Plenty of names have been linked - yet the wait for the first arrival continues.
Wout Weghorst’s move Manchester United could see Anthony Elanga granted a loan departure. Everton are keen on the versatile forward but it's reported that the Red Devils have still to make a decision on his future.
Arnaut Danjuma would undoubtedly bolster Everton's firepower. He's fallen out of favour at Villarreal despite helping them reach the Champions League semi-finals last season. Danjuma's said to have flown into the UK to try to seal a move away from the Yellow Submarine.
But Lampard will be aware to that Danjuma may prefer a move to Aston Villa where he would reunite with Unai Emery. The Holland international fired 16 goals under Emery’s tutelage at Villarreal last term. Meanwhile, Danjumua's former club Bournemouth are also in the race.
A loan offer for Danny Ings has been rebuffed by Villa, while Atalanta's Duvan Zapata is another name said to be on the radar. The Colombia international has had injury issues this term, while he's started two of Atalanta's past three Serie A fixtures. Reports suggest Everton are in talks about a loan-to-buy deal worth £15 million. Zapata turns 32 in April so there may have to be some caution given he has no resale value. He would certainly add a new dimension to the Blues’ current options, though.
Michel Antonio is the latest to be linked on loan. However, in truth, it's difficult to see West Ham sanctioning a transfer strengthen a fellow relegation candidate.
Lorient's Dango Outtara is another who the Blues were said to be targeting but he's opted for Bournemouth. Cherries owner Bill Foley recently purchased a significant minority stake in the French outfit. That may well be the reason why they have won the race for Outtara, who recorded six goals and six assists in 18 outings for Lorient this campaign.
Lampard is also aware that departures are needed to balance his squad and for it to continue evolving. There are some obvious candidates who could leave if the right offers came in.
Already, Nathan Broadhead has been sold to Ipswich Town and Tom Cannon loaned to Preston. But Lampard may want senior players to leave the building, too.
Yerry Mina is one who Everton may likely allow to depart if the circumstances were correct. The centre-back's ability can't be questioned - some would argue he's the best defender at the club - but his injury record can't be disputed, either. Mina's into the final six months on his contract so banking a fee as well as freeing up the wage bill would be financially prudent.
Everton are arguably overloaded when it comes to central defence. Michael Keane has been very much on the periphery of things and made just three outings this campaign, while Mason Holgate has just two more appearances.
Any exits, you would hope, would be permanent deals rather than loans. Everton are working under tight financial restrictions and any added funds to bolster the coffers would be welcome.
With Alex Iwobi making a return to fitness, having expected to be sidelined for three weeks, could free up the possibility of Abdoulaye Doucoure or Tom Davies been granted exits. The pair both see their respective contracts expire in June, although the Blues are believed to have an option of an additional year with Doucoure.
Davies has been linked with Rangers, while Doucoure is reportedly courted by Fulham, clubs in Turkey and the Middle East.