Frank Lampard to hold further Everton manager talks, says he’s ‘ready to work’

The former Chelsea manager has overtaken Vitor Pereira as the lead candidate to replace Rafa Benitez at Goodison Park.

Frank Lampard has re-emerged as the favourite for the Everton manager’s job.

Portuguese coach Vitor Pereira had been set to replace Rafa Benitez after positive talks with the club’s hierarchy.

Sign up to our LiverpoolWorld Today newsletter

But after protests at Goodison Park by a small group of Everton fans, the former Fenerbahce manager has reportedly considered pulling out.

Earlier in the search, Lampard impressed in an interview and the 43-year-old is now the favourite to take over at the club.

He is set for a second interview with the club’s hierarchy later on Thursday, according to the Telegraph.

Frank Lampard on the touchline at Goodison Park last season. Picture: Jon Super / POOL / AFP/ Getty Images

“I’m ready to work”

Back in November, Lampard spoke on Gary Neville’s ‘The Overlap’ podcast about the prospect of returning to management after being sacked by Chelsea in January last year.

“I want to work,” the Chelsea all-time top goalscorer said. “I’m ready to work.”

“I’ve enjoyed different aspects of being out of the game. It’s definitely given me different perspectives, having a baby and given me a lot of reflection to plan for the future.

“I’m definitely ready to work and I’m excited about it, I miss it and I’m waiting for the call.”

Lampard had reportedly been linked with Crystal Palace job prior to Patrick Vieria’s appointment and was also in the run-in for the Toffees job after Carlo Ancelotti left.

Lampard explained his decision making in not returning to management and not rushing back into it.

“I don’t want to sound overly selective, either, because if you want to be selective in football and look at any job that’s available, there will be good and bad about it.

“The job is there for a reason. It’s open for a reason - bad results, squad, whatever it is. I’m not scared about that,” he continued.

“But the people you work with - it sounds a little bit cringy but what they want, the vision, the expectations - all those things.”

What has Vitor Pereira said?

Following reports that Pereira was awaiting a decision by the club, the candidate took a surprise approach by speaking to Sky Sports about the process and his feelings on the protest.

Pereira seems happy and confident after talks with the board.

“What I felt from the club, I think they were enthusiastic [about] what I proposed to them: an intensive game, a pressing game, a game with possession,” the former Porto boss said.

“We need to give confidence again to the players and the team. We need to approach the fantastic supporters to the team again.

“This is what I proposed to them and what I felt in the meetings is that they were very positive with the interviews. The feedback from the interviews was good feedback.”

After a message reading: ‘Pereira out, Lampard in’ was graffitied on the walls of Goodison Park, Pereira had been said to be ready to pull out of the running.

But in the interview, Pereira admitted that seeing the message hurt.

“This is the first time in my career I’ve seen these types of things. I’ve never had these kind of comments about me. My CV speaks for itself,” he explained.

“They don’t know me very well. They don’t know my work, they don’t know me as a person, they don’t know my CV.

“I worked in a lot of countries - different clubs, different levels. We got several titles. Before you know the person, you cannot judge.”