M62 closed due to lorry fire causing miles of congestion - diversion in place
The incident has been classed as ‘severe’
and live on Freeview channel 276
The M62 is currently closed due to a lorry fire.
The westbound closure affects J7 A57 Warrington Road and J6 M57 Tarbock, however, traffic on the east carriageway has now been released.
The incident has been classed as ‘severe’ and is not expected to clear for several hours.
National Highways confirmed that emergency services are on the scene and traffic conditions are not expected to return to normal until between 17:30 and 17:45.
- At 10:51, National Highways said there was “two miles of congestion to the west closure and one mile congestion east.”
- In an update on Twitter at 11:44, a spokesperson said: “The #M62 remains closed westbound between J7 #Ranhill#Widnes and J6 #M57 due to a lorry fire. The traffic on the eastbound has been released. Traffic within the closure westbound is being turned around via the rear of the queue. Please allow extra journey time.”
- Initially expected to clear by 13:15, an update by National Highways this afternoon states the incident will not be cleared until around 17:30.
- At 15:16, National Highways said “complex recovery and clean up works” were ongoing and the westbound closures are still in place.
Road users are advised to follow the solid diamond diversion symbol:
- Leave the M62 at J7 and take the 2nd exit onto the A557 heading south.
- Follow the A557 to the roundabout with the A562 and join the A562 heading west.
- Continue on the A562 westbound to the roundabout with the A5300 and take the 3rd exit onto the A5300.
- Follow the A5300 back to the M62 westbound at J6 and take the 1st exit to rejoin the M62 westbound.