Everton player ratings: Alex Iwobi and Michael Keane shine in Newcastle United victory
Alex Iwobi’s dramatic stoppage-time winner earned Everton a 1-0 victory over Newcastle United.
The Toffees would have likely settled for a draw after being reduced to 10 men before Alex Iwobi netted a stoppage-time winner that sent the home fans wild.
The first half lacked any real quality, with both sides struggling to create clear-cut chances.
The best opportunity fell to Chris Wood in the 13th minute but the Newcastle striker’s header lacked purchase and Everon keeper Asmir Begovic easily gathered.
Everton mustered their best chance in the 61st minute when Demarai Gray flashed an effort not too far wide.
Then Anthony Gordon forced a fine save out of visiting keeper Martin Dubravka with 12 minutes of normal time remaining.
The game then took a huge twist when Allan was given his marching orders in the 83rd minute. The Brazilian cynically fouled Allan Saint-Maximin and was initially given a yellow card by referee Craig Pawson.
However, after a VAR review, the decision was overturned and Allan was branded a red.
That would not knock Everton, though, and they would go on to notch the winner in the ninth minute of stoppage-time.
The Blues hit Newcastle on the break and Iwobi played a neat one-two with Dominic Calvert-Lewin before finishing beyond Dubravka.
- Alex Iwobi: the Everton winger was cooler than a polar bear’s toenails when he was played in. Goodison Park simply erupted with joy and relief.
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin: came on tasked to make a difference and that’s what he did by assisting Iwobi.
- Michael Keane: the centre-back took plenty of flak after the 5-0 Tottenham thrashing. But he was a man mountain on his return to the team.
- Craig Pawson: quite simply a horrendous decision from the referee to send Allan off after watching replays of the challenge.
- Stuart Attwell: it was quite bizarre what the VAR referee saw in Allan’s challenge.