Liverpool player ratings: Virgil van Dijk below his best in Nottingham Forest FA Cup win
Liverpool beat Nottingham Forest 1-0 in the FA Cup to set up a semi-final clash against Manchester City.
The Reds were well below their best against the Championship outfit but were bailed out by Diogo Jota’s late finish.
Roberto Firmino wasted a big chance for Liverpool in the 28th minute when he was left one-on-one with Forest keeper Ethan Horvath - but saw his shot saved.
In the 53rd minute, Jota saw a tame shot easily gathered by Horvath.
Forest spurned their golden opportunity in the 77th minute when Philip Zinckernagel flashed wide following a good move.
And Liverpool made them pay by notching the all-important opener a minute later. Kostas Tsimikas floated in a cross and Jota pounced with a close-range finish.
- Diogo Jota: was far from his peak throughout the game but delivered when it mattered. Showed excellent movement and finished with aplomb.
- Kostas Tsimikas: another whose performance was a mixed bag. But Tsimikas did well to cut back onto his right foot and pick out Jota for the winner.
- Joe Worrall: a big performance from the Forest centre-back to quell a potent Liverpool attack for the majority of the evening.
- Philip Zinckernagel: simply had to score when he was gift-wrapped a glorious chance. Forest were subsequently punished.
- Virgil van Dijk: below his best. The centre-back struggled to contain home striker Keinan Davis at times and was lucky not to be booked.
- Jack Colback: caught ball-watching and lost the run of Jota for his goal.