Jack Welsby would swap Young Player of the Year award for St Helens Grand Final win
The versatile 21 year old won the award for the second successive year.
and live on Freeview channel 276
The versatile Saints’ player, who made his debut in the final league match of the 2018 season, has since scored 39 tries, including a dramatic last-gasp touchdown in the 2020 Grand Final against Wigan Warriors at Hull.
Welsby, 21, said after receiving his accolade: "It’s a real honour to be receiving this award. There is so much young talent coming through Super League, so, to be crowned the winner for the second successive year is an honour for me.
“I was also privileged to be nominated for the Betfred Man of Steel award, but I would swap all personal honours for another Grand Final winners’ ring.
“It is going to be a packed out Old Trafford and I am really looking forward to it. As a kid this is all you want to do – play in big games and I am thankful I will hopefully get the opportunity to do that for a third year running!”
Betfred Super League award winners
- Hitman - Danny Houghton (Hull FC)
- Top Try Scorer - Bevan French (Wigan Warriors)
- Loch Lomond Spirit of Super League Award - Peter Mata’utia (Awarded to those who make a significant contribution to the sport beyond the field of play)
- Young Player of the Year - Jack Welsby (St Helens)
- Coach of the Year - Matt Peet (Wigan Warriors)
- Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel - Brodie Croft (Salford Red Devils)