Filling up with fuel now costs drivers an average of £1.55 per litre of petrol - a record high for UK filling stations.
Figures from data firm Experian Catalist show the price hit that peak on Sunday as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continued to have repercussions around the world.
The price of diesel is also at a record high, at an average cost of £1.61 per litre in the UK.
With the US and Europe considering a ban on Russian crude, global oil prices are closing in on record high levels of $147.50 per barrel.
Brent crude oil hit $139.13 per barrel at start of trading on Monday morning.
He said: “At $120 a barrel – without any change to the exchange rate which is currently at $1.35 – we would be looking at £1.60 a litre and £88 for a full tank.”
These prices were correct at the time of writing (Monday, March 7), but be aware that they can vary depending on demand and supply.
Have you found cheaper fuel prices in Bristol? Email us at [email protected]
Cheapest petrol prices in Liverpool
1. Costco Liverpool Automat, Waterloo Street, L3 7HY: petrol 142.9p; diesel 148.9p.
2. Sainsbury’s Rice Lane, L9 1NL: petrol 144.9p; diesel 149.9p.
3. Asda Bootle, Orrell Lane, L20 6HX: petrol 145.7p; diesel 150.7p.
4. Apple Green City Services, Great Howard Street, L3 7AT: petrol 145.8p; diesel 148p.
5. Sainsbury’s East Prescot Road, L14 5PT: petrol 145.9p; diesel 150.9p.
6. Sainsbury’s Great Homer Street, L14 5PT: petrol 146.9p; diesel 149.9p.
7. Asda Sefton Park, Smithdown Road, L15 2HF: petrol 147.7p; diesel 152.7p.
8. Texaco MFG Grand National, Barlow Lane, L4 3QP: petrol 147.9p; diesel 154.9p.
9. Sainsbury’s Birkenhead, Woodchurch Road, CH42 8PQ: petrol 148p; diesel 149.9p.
10. Asda Breckfield Road, Breckfield Road South, L6 5DR: petrol 148.7p; diesel 151.7p.
* Prices correct at time of publication.